How to Make A 5 Gallon Bucket Air Conditioner
Extreme hot temperatures can make your life difficult especially if you are in the desert or a place where electricity to power your air cooler is not accessible. Having an air conditioner that functions well can come in handy during such hot periods. Therefore, if you want to save up on cost especially on your electricity bills, you can easily make this DIY home conditioner.
The air cooler’s limitation
The project is simple to carry out. However, this homemade conditioner can only serve a small area of your room or car. If you want to cool a larger room, then you might need a dozen of this to have the desired room temperature. Also, due to air melting the ice, the air conditioner may function up to 6 hours. Nevertheless, to some, that time is enough to help maintain the room’s temperature.
The best place to use it
Despite the fact that you can only use this air conditioner in your room, you can use it while working on your laptop or during a warm night. If you also prefer some breeze hitting your face while watching some program on the TV or playing a video game, then you can use this conditioner for that purpose.
What are the benefits of using this homemade air conditioner?
• Easy to make
• Tools used to make the air conditioner are cheap and easily available
• The air conditioner uses a small amount of power. This saves the amount of energy you need
• It is portable. You can carry the air conditioner from one place to another. Hence, it is convenient especially for people who are going to a camp or an area with no electricity.
So, let us quickly look at the process of making one.
Tools you will need
• 5 Gallon bucket
• Approximately 3 PVC pipes that have a 1.5’’ internal diameter
• 5v USB fan
• A bucket liner that fits into the 5-gallon bucket
• A drilling machine
• A knife and a hacksaw for cutting the PVC
• A frozen gallon
1. Take the 5-gallon bucket and drill three holes on its side. The holes should be 2 ¼ ‘’ in size.
2. Fit the bucket liner into the bucket and drill some holes through the liner. However, the holes should be 2 1/8 ‘’ inches wide.
3. Fit the PVC pipes through the holes. They will act as the air vents.
4. Use the knife to cut the bucket and the liner’s lid to make a hole that your fan would fit in. You can choose not to use the bucket’s lid.
5. Mount the fan on top of the lid and power it to a solar panel.
This machine is noise free. Therefore, it cannot disrupt a sleeping baby. It can also run efficiently for 5 hours. You can place the air conditioner on a stool if you want the breeze to hit your face directly.
Keep your fingers distant from the hole that you are drilling to prevent hurting yourself.