11 Impressive Home Remedies for Stretch Marks
Stretch marks are off-colored stripes or streaks that form on your skin because of stretching skin or weight changes. Pregnancy and obesity are the two most common reasons for stretch marks, but puberty and hormone replacement therapy. These form on the waist, thighs, lower backs, hips, breasts, arms, and buttocks.
While stretch marks aren’t harmful, they are annoying and embarrassing. Chances are you tried all of the lotions and oils at the store, but they failed to give you the results you want. Luckily, there are some home remedies you can try to get rid of the stretch marks on your body.
How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Castor oil has long been used for skin problems, like wrinkles, spots, moles, pimples, and stretch marks. To use castor oil, apply it to the stretch marks directly and gently massage into the area for five to 10 minutes. Then, wrap the area in a thin cloth, and place a heating pad on top. Keep the heat on the area for at least 30 minutes. Repeat this remedy daily for one month.
You can use aloe vera to treat a variety of skin problems because it has healing and soothing properties. There are several ways you can apply it to the problem areas.
- Simply apply it to the area and rub gently. Leave the aloe vera on the area for 15 minutes, then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Some people like to mix aloe vera gel with vitamin E and vitamin A capsules. Break open the capsules and use the oil inside. Rub this over your skin until absorbed, and repeat daily, or as often as you want!
The idea of putting egg whites on your body might seem strange, but egg whites are a source of amino acids and protein. This combination allows them to combat stretch marks easily.
- Whip the egg whites gently. Then, clean the area on your body with the stretch marks. Apply a liberal layer of egg whites with a brush. Let the whites dry totally and rinse the area with cold water. Afterward, apply olive oil to the skin to keep it moisturized. Do so daily for two weeks, and your stretch marks will disappear.
Many people use sugar as a natural exfoliant for your skin, making it a fantastic home remedy for stretch marks.
- Use a tablespoon of sugar and mix with almond oil and lemon juice. Stir well, and apply to the area. Rub it in for ten minutes, then take a shower. Use the sugar mixture for a month, and watch the marks fade away.
Chances are you thought egg whites were a strange remedy, and using potato juice seems just as weird. Potatoes contain dozens of minerals and vitamins that promote restoration and growth of new skin cells.
- To use potato juice, cut thick slices of potato and rub gently over your stretch marks for a few minutes. Once the juices dried, rinse the area with lukewarm water.
Continue reading on page 2
Another home remedy for stretch marks is lemon juice! This remedy works because of the acid present in the lemon juice which breaks through the stretch marks. It also can reduce acne, skin injuries, and scars.
- All you need to do is take juice from a lemon and massage it over the area gently for ten minutes. Do so in a circular motion. Afterward, clean the area with warm water. You can also mix lemon juice with cucumber juice for an even stronger combination.
Everyone knows about cocoa butter! It is in many of the creams you can purchase in the stores to get rid of stretch marks. Cocoa butter contains anti-wrinkling and anti-aging properties that improve the blood circulation in your skin. Together, these properties reduce stretch marks.
- All you need to do is massage cocoa butter onto your stretch marks two times a day or more. You should continue to do so until you see the scars reducing.
Here is another home remedy that you probably are apprehensive to try because it seems unlikely to work, but it does. Alfalfa leaves contain amino acids, which help keep your skin healthy, along with vitamins E, K, and proteins. All of these together improve the tone of your skin. Plus, alfalfa has anti-fungal agents.
- To use alfalfa leaves, mix the alfalfa powder with a few drops of chamomile essential oil. Doing so forms a paste that you need to rub over the stretch marks three times a day.
Vitamin K is very helpful in preventing scars. You can find natural forms of vitamin K in green vegetables, such as cabbages, spring onions, and pickled cucumber. Try to add these vegetables to your diet often. Most green vegetables contain vitamin K, so eat up and often!
Lavender Oil, Almond Oil, and Chamomile Oil
There are many different oils that you can use to get rid of stretch marks on your body. Try mixing two teaspoons of almond oil with several drops of lavender oil and chamomile oil. Mix well and apply it to your stretch marks.
To combat those stretch marks, consider adding some tea tree oil to the mixture as well. Tea tree oil contains anti-viral, antibiotic, and anti-inflammatory properties, making it extremely effective for many different skin problems. You can either combine it with the other oils or apply it separately to the area by gently massaging it over the stretch marks.
Water is vital for your health and carrying nutrients throughout your body. So, to help get rid of these pesky stretch marks, make sure you are drinking a lot of water. Well-hydrated skin is required for the pores to detoxify. Surprisingly, drinking water is one of the easiest ways to get rid of stretch marks. You should aim to drink ten glasses of water each day to maintain a hydrated body.