The Ultimate Vegan Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Indulge in the rich and chewy delight of these delectable vegan chocolate chip cookies. With a perfect balance of flavors and textures, these cookies will satisfy your sweet cravings without any animal products. Whether you follow a vegan lifestyle or simply want to try something new, these cookies are a must-try treat. Let’s dive into the recipe and explore some alternative ingredient options for a customizable baking experience.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2.5 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, slightly softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy chocolate chips
Flax egg – The flaxseed and water mixture can be substituted with other egg alternatives like “JUST Egg” or non-dairy milk. To replace the flax egg, simply use 4 tablespoons of non-dairy milk in the recipe.
Vegan butter – While Miyoko’s vegan butter is a great choice, you can experiment with other brands or even try using coconut oil. Keep in mind that coconut oil may alter the texture and flavor slightly. If you opt for coconut oil, consider making “Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies” for a unique twist.
Brown sugar – For the best results, stick to brown sugar. However, if you need to substitute, granulated sugar can work as a replacement. Add a tablespoon of molasses to the granulated sugar to mimic the flavor of brown sugar. Another option is using coconut sugar.
All-purpose flour – If you require gluten-free cookies, switch to a gluten-free flour blend. Brands like Bob’s Red Mill, King Arthur, and Better Batter offer good alternatives. However, avoid substituting with almond flour, as it will result in a different texture. Instead, try making “Almond Flour Cookies” separately.
Cornstarch – Cornstarch adds to the chewiness of the cookies. If needed, you can substitute it with tapioca starch or arrowroot. If cornstarch is unavailable, it’s fine to leave it out, but the cookies may be slightly less chewy.
Salt – Adjust the salt content based on the type of vegan butter used. If using unsalted vegan butter, increase the salt from 1/4 teaspoon to 3/4 teaspoon for a balanced taste.
Non-dairy chocolate chips – Look for vegan-friendly chocolate chips by checking the ingredients list for any milk derivatives. Brands like Trader Joe’s and Enjoy Life are suitable options. Additionally, some store brands might accidentally be vegan and more budget-friendly.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flaxseed and water to create your flax egg. Set it aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the vegan butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the flax egg and vanilla extract, and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until a soft cookie dough forms.
- Stir in the non-dairy chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, drop tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving space between each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. The centers might still seem slightly undercooked, but they will firm up as the cookies cool.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can create the ultimate vegan chewy chocolate chip cookies that will impress everyone, regardless of their dietary preferences.
Feel free to explore alternative ingredients to cater to your tastes and dietary needs. Whether you enjoy them warm with a glass of non-dairy milk or pack them as a sweet treat for on-the-go, these cookies are sure to become a new favorite in your household. Happy baking!