Eight Foods That Will Help Lower Your Blood Sugar Levels
The prime aim for the treatment of diabetes is to control your blood sugar levels and to keep it within normal limits. As a diabetic’s body does not produce enough insulin to control the blood sugar levels, he/she can control it through a strict diet, which should be rich in fibers and low in fats. Instead of large mills, a diabetic patient should have a number of small meals throughout the day. A fiber rich diet will help the pancreas to produce more insulin which will control blood sugar levels naturally. The diet should also contain foods which are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Diabetic patients should also avoid processed foods as much as possible as they may contain preservatives and other chemicals and most of them are high in calories. They should also decrease the intake of alcohol, fried foods and sweets. Instead of fried foods, they may go for grilled, roasted, baked or steamed food. Diabetics should also avoid drinking soft drinks or sodas as these drinks contain a lot of glucose and other chemicals which are harmful to the body.
The following is a list of some foods which are helpful in lowering your blood sugar levels:–
- Nuts: Though nuts contain a high fat content, these fats are healthier fats which help to reduce insulin resistance and lower blood sugar levels. Some of the healthy nuts which should be included in your diet are Peanuts, Cashew, Brazil nuts, Almonds and Walnuts.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is high in dietary fiber. This is an excellent breakfast for diabetics. It helps to reduce cholesterol and blood glucose levels.
- Beans: Beans like kidney beans, dry beans, black beans, soy beans etc. also help to reduce cholesterol and blood glucose levels.
- Vegetables: Vegetables are very important for a diabetic diet. Green leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli, bitter gourd, cucumber etc. are very useful in controlling Diabetes. Other vegetables like carrot, radish, lime, onions, ginger, garlic, tomato, lettuce etc. should be included in the diet for diabetic patients. These vegetables are high in antioxidants, lower cholesterol and reduce blood glucose levels.
- Fruits: Diabetics should eat fruits like oranges, apple, papaya and guava. But they should avoid eating fruits like strawberry, mango and banana.
- Avocado: Avocado is also a fruit which is high in dietary fiber and increases insulin sensitivity and controls blood glucose levels.
- Barley: Barley is also a very good food for diabetics. It can be used as a substitute for rice and other high carbohydrate foods. It is similar to oats and reduces both cholesterol and blood sugar.
- Flax seed: Flax seeds contain magnesium and other chemicals which are helpful in controlling diabetes. It is also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
Thanks for checking out our “Eight Foods That Will Help Lower Your Blood Sugar Levels” article. If you found this article interesting please consider sharing it on Facebook and Pinning it on your Pinterest boards, this will help spread the word and help hundreds of people see this info too. Also let me know in the comments below if you would like to add any more points to this article.