How to Make Gummy Bears
Have you ever wished that you could make your own gummy bears? Making homemade regular and sour gummy bears is surprisingly easy, and you only need a few ingredients! Compared to the ingredients on the package from the store, homemade gummy bears have fewer ingredients and chemicals, making them an easy snack for your kids. You can make them sour or not, depending on what you like!
Ingredients for Homemade Gummy Bears
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 TBSP plain, unflavored gelatin
- 1 packet of flavored gelatin or jello
- Optional: ¼ to 12/2 TSP citric acid (For sour gummy bears)
- Gummy bear mold
Instructions to Make Gummy Bears
- First, put the cold water, unflavored gelatin, and flavored gelatin into a pot on the stove. Mix it together well with a spoon or silicone spatula.
- Turn on the heat to medium, gently stirring and whisking to prevent it from burning. Let the gelatin mixture cook for 5 minutes or until everything is mix together and liquified.
- Pour the gelatin mixture into a heat-safe jar like a glass jar or a glass measuring cup. It needs to cool for a few moments, but use this time to very gently skim off the foam from the top of the gelatin mixture. Toss out the foam; you don’t need it!
- Now, you can use whatever mold that you want. Gummy bear molds are easy to purchase online or your local craft shop. Silicone or plastic molds are the best. Pour the gelatin mixture into the molds and set aside to let them sit for a few hours.
- Remove them from the gummy bear molds, and you have delicious homemade gummy bears! Store them in an airtight container for best results.
- To make these sour gummy bears, sprinkle citric acid over the gummy bears. Be careful because you don’t want to sprinkle too much! Start with ¼ TSP then work until ½ TSP of citric acid.
Homemade gummy bears won’t last as long as gummy bears you might purchase in the stores. For longest storage, store them in the refrigerator.
Tips for Making Homemade Gummy Bears
Making these are pretty straightforward and easy to understand. Here are a few tips!
- If you want to add some nutritional value to these, use gelatin from grass-fed cows. It has nutrients that your children need and it won’t change the flavor.
- Rub some oil in the silicone molds. Silicone typically releases the gummy bears without a problem, but adding a bit of oil makes them slide right out.
- To increase the flavor and nutrients, try use fruit juice instead of water. You can make some really uniquely flavored gummy bears by using juice.
- To make the gelatin set faster, place the filled molds in the refrigerator or freezer. They also pop out of the molds easier when you put them in the refrigerator.
Making homemade gummy bears is easy! It’s a kid-friendly recipe and activity, and your kids will happily join you in the kitchen to make this delicious and fun snack.
Thank you for checking out our “How to Make Gummy Bears” article. If you found this article interesting please consider sharing it on Facebook and Pinning it on your Pinterest boards, this will help spread the word and help hundreds of people see this info too. Also let me know in the comments below if you would like to add any more info to this article…